Clive joined Harper James in February 2020 as a data protection and privacy lawyer.
His distinguished legal career spans three decades in private practice and the public sector. He has expertise in privacy, data protection and cyber-security law, particularly across the legal services, insurance and transport tech, e-commerce and public sectors.
One of the few investigative lawyers in the UK, Clive has led investigations into compliance and navigated privacy, data protection and human rights laws. An expert in recent GDPR legislation, Clive steers our clients through compliance with this often complex area of data protection law. Clive advises on:
- Business obligations under the current Data Protection Act 2018 and the GDPR
- Help with appointing a data protection officer and staff training
- Data retention and when records should be destroyed
- Data breach issues, including reporting and complaints made to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO)
- Drafting data protection policies and processes and data processing and sharing agreements
- Due diligence when appointing new business partners
- Subject access requests and the new subject rights under GDPR
- Electronic communications and marketing, including buying and selling databases
- Data protection assessments and audits
- Contractual agreements and data protection clauses to protect your business
- Conducting a data privacy impact assessment
Most recently, he headed the data protection department at Bristol City Council before moving to Harper James. Since joining Harper James, Clive has taken part in our Spotlight on a Solicitor series, sharing his journey into law and proudest career moments. Read the interview to hear about his life in law.
Outside of work, Clive is a foodie, Masterchef fan and keen sailor.