Ed Kilner joined the commercial team at Harper James in 2019. Ed specialises in IT, IP and general technology related contracts, but can also advise on a range of commercial matters.
After completing his studies at the University of Birmingham, Ed trained at Harrison Clark Rickerbys, qualifying into the IP and technology team in 2017. Here, Ed gained a broad spread of experience working with both innovative tech start-ups, as well as multinational corporations, advising on a range of different contractual and intellectual property matters, both domestic and international. This has included:
- Advising on, drafting, and negotiating business-to-business agreements for software development, the supply and configuration of on-premise and SaaS software solutions, and the provision of managed IT services;
- Advising on, drafting and negotiating complex data sharing agreements;
- Negotiating international trade mark licences;
- Drafting and advising on image rights agreements for social media influencers, TV personalities and athletes; and
- General advice around IP protection and enforcement.
Ed enjoys getting to grips with the detail of complex matters, and providing clear and commercial legal advice for his clients.
Away from the office, Ed is a keen football fan (rumoured to be a typical Midlands-based Manchester United supporter – rumours Ed fiercely refuses to confirm or deny), and also enjoys contemporary arts and film.
Ed has also taken part in our Spotlight on a Solicitor series, sharing his journey into law and proudest career moments. Read the interview to hear about his life in law.