Michael is one of our business disputes partners. He specialises in dispute resolution although he has enough years of experience to recall when it was known as commercial litigation.
A former partner in a leading north-west law firm, Michael ensures that he uses the right tactics to achieve strategic goals on behalf of his clients and isn’t afraid to inform clients when it’s appropriate to concede an issue in order to minimise risk or costs.
He’s also mindful that costs can quickly spiral out of control if either party remains unreasonably entrenched to its position and that win or lose, time spent in a courtroom is an expensive and fraught occasion. His skill is to provide you with practical commercial advice to ensure you get the best result whatever your circumstances.
Michael’s experience often involves dealing with high value and complex claims, including:
- Commercial litigation (including corporate and contractual disputes)
- Professional negligence
- Minority shareholder, joint venture and intra-family company disputes
- Recovery and insolvency
Michael is also experienced in all forms of Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR), including arbitration, mediation and expert adjudication/determination.
Michael’s previous sector experience includes clients in the following industries:
- Technology, particularly IT contract disputes
- Creative industries, including advertising and marketing
- Energy, utilities and environment, particularly energy storage
- Manufacturing, engineering and construction, especially industrial products and metals
A graduate in law from the University of Leicester, Michael also possesses an MSc in Construction and Arbitration Law and is often engaged to resolve disputes arising in the construction industry.
Outside work, when not acting as an unpaid taxi service for his children, he likes to cycle and support his beloved Huddersfield Town.