Rachel Martin’s legal background is in commercial property and her experience includes:
- advising on all aspects of the landlord and tenant relationship;
- dealing with the exploitation of freehold and leasehold property;
- advising lenders on taking security over commercial and high-value residential property;
- advising borrowers on financing and re-financing commercial property; and
- negotiating and drafting all relevant documentation.
Rachel has advised UK ports, institutional and other investors, occupiers, developers, banks, NHS trusts and local authorities on property types such as offices, retail units, industrial units, warehouses and agricultural land.
Rachel has worked in a wide range of sectors including:
- Technology, particularly on property portfolios for national IT services companies
- Life sciences and healthcare, on healthcare premises
- Public sector, including local government and community assets
- Retail and luxury brands
- Automotive and transport, including logistics, supply chain and shipping, and work for UK ports
- Hospitality, travel and leisure, such as the sale and purchase of hotels
- Agricultural and rural, including the sale and purchase of agricultural land and farm business tenancies.
Before joining Harper James, Rachel worked at City firms, qualifying as a solicitor in 2005.
Before becoming a solicitor Rachel spent several years working as a software developer creating bespoke IT solutions for clients in the aviation, banking, insurance and other sectors.
Rachel studied Pure Mathematics at university and gained her PhD in 1993.
Rachel is a Freeman of the City of London and a qualified City of London Guide.