Having originally worked for an IBM spin-out software development house, Rob worked for Santander bank as an IP/brand management lawyer before qualifying as a solicitor in 2006. After four years in Birmingham at Cobbetts and SGH Martineau, Rob joins us from regional firm Harrison Clark Rickerbys , where he was head of the intellectual property and technology team.
Rob has particular experience working with technology businesses, from crowdfunded start-ups to large multi-nationals, and has over the past 12 years worked in-house for several ISPs and a leading international tech company. As an IP lawyer, whilst predominantly non-contentious – advising clients on protecting and commercialising their exciting tech innovations – Rob has helped IP-rich businesses like Aardman Animations take action against online and offline infringements around the globe.
Rob has particular experience in the following sectors:
- Technology, including fintech, cybersecurity, software, videogames, apps, wearable tech, consumer tech, hardware, AI, machine learning (bid data), IoT, biotech, digital infrastructure and digital commerce
- Creative industries, particularly media, entertainment & publishing, advertising & marketing, art law, FMCG product design and development, and brand merchandise deals
- Life sciences and healthcare, including biotech and medical devices, R&D
- Sports law, such as contracts, sports agents agreements, merchandising, sponsorship, broadcasting & IP rights, eSports, commercial agreements with partners and sporting personalities acting as online (social media) brand ambassadors for large brands
- Energy, utilities and environment,including renewable energy, solar, wind, hydro-electric, anaerobic digestion and nuclear
- Retail and luxury brands, such as consumer goods, yachts, fashion, beauty and perfume
- Manufacturing, including food and drink/agribusiness, advanced manufacturing, smart sensors, robotics and product development
Rob is married to Charlotte and now lives just outside of Birmingham. In his spare time Rob likes a challenge … !