Sarah Gunton is one of our commercial partners. She joined Harper James in 2016 and comes with a rich pedigree in providing expert commercial services for her clients.
Having trained with Edge & Ellison, Sarah later moved to DLA, becoming a partner in their commercial team. She has also worked in-house in the waste industry.
Sarah advises a wide range of businesses on commercial matters such as:
- Standard terms and conditions
- Drafting, amending and advising on contracts
- Analysing contractual positions
- Information technology contracts
- Supply arrangements to complex outsourcing agreements
- Completing commercial due diligence
- Negotiating ancillary agreements
She combines a deep and detailed knowledge of the law with clear and practical advice for her clients.
Since qualifying as a solicitor in 1994, Sarah has acted for clients in a range of industries, with significant experience in:
- Technology, especially software, videogames and apps, digital commerce and biotech
- Creative industries. including media, entertainment & publishing, advertising and marketing
- Life sciences and healthcare, specifically biotech and medical devices, and public procurement
- Public sector, including local government, central government, public procurement, state aid and projects like PFI, PP and PF2
- Retail, fashion and consumer goods
- Manufacturing, including industrial products and food & drink/agribusiness
- Hospitality, travel and leisure
What Inspired You To Get Into Law?
I left Hertford College, Oxford with a History degree in 1989. One fifth of my final exams related to a huge bundle of documents from a ten year period in the eighteenth century. That was what gave me a taste for detailed review and analysis and accurate use of language. Add that to my obsession with fairness (I have three younger siblings) and you have a born lawyer.
What Is The Most Rewarding Aspect Of Your Role?
Making sure that everyone in a contractual arrangement gets the best possible deal – and has a contract which works and which reflects the intentions of the parties.
What Do You Do Away From Work/Outside The Office?
I manage my two unruly children, use organic methods to grow vegetables and cook up weird and wonderful things with them.
Sarah shares more about her journey into law and proudest career moments in our Spotlight on a Solicitor series. Read the interview to hear about her life in law.