Sarah Gunton is one of our commercial partners. She joined Harper James in 2016 and comes with a rich pedigree in providing expert commercial services for her clients.
Having trained with Edge & Ellison, Sarah later moved to DLA, becoming a partner in their commercial team. She has also worked in-house in the waste industry.
Sarah advises a wide range of businesses on commercial matters such as:
- Standard terms and conditions
- Drafting, amending and advising on contracts
- Analysing contractual positions
- Information technology contracts
- Supply arrangements to complex outsourcing agreements
- Completing commercial due diligence
- Negotiating ancillary agreements
She combines a deep and detailed knowledge of the law with clear and practical advice for her clients.
In terms of sectors, Sarah has acted for clients in a range of industries, with significant experience in:
- Technology, especially cryptocurrencies, software, videogames and apps, digital commerce and biotech
- Creative industries. including media, entertainment & publishing, advertising and marketing
- Life sciences and healthcare, specifically biotech and medical devices, and public procurement
- Public sector, including local government, central government, public procurement, state aid and projects like PFI, PP and PF2
- Retail, fashion and consumer goods
- Manufacturing, including industrial products and food & drink/agribusiness
- Hospitality, travel and leisure
What Inspired You To Get Into Law?
I left Hertford College, Oxford with a History degree in 1989. One fifth of my final exams related to a huge bundle of documents from a ten year period in the eighteenth century. That was what gave me a taste for detailed review and analysis and accurate use of language. Add that to my obsession with fairness (I have three younger siblings) and you have a born lawyer.
What Is The Most Rewarding Aspect Of Your Role?
Making sure that everyone in a contractual arrangement gets the best possible deal – and has a contract which works and which reflects the intentions of the parties.
What Do You Do Away From Work/Outside The Office?
I manage my two unruly children, use organic methods to grow vegetables and cook up weird and wonderful things with them.