Simon Gilmour joined the firm in April 2018, as a partner in the employment team, having worked at top 50 law firms in the West Midlands for the last 20 years, 15 of which were as a partner and Head of Department.
Simon acts for employers of all sizes, from start-up to global blue chip in most sectors, but principally tech and advanced manufacturing.
He advises on all aspects of the employment relationship – at the beginning, during, the end and afterwards. He covers:
- all contractual and related documentation for employees
- managing complex disciplinary and grievance processes
- dealing with bullying and harassment allegations
- advising on dismissals and negotiating severances
- implementing measures for protection of IP, clients and staff and enforcement
- managing employment tribunals, including undertaking advocacy
- trade union and collective disputes
His particular expertise is in managing people matters concerning TUPE (business transfers and service provision changes), sales and acquisitions of companies, and large-scale restructures/redundancies.
Simon’s approach is very business-focused, providing commercial and pragmatic solutions to all staffing issues. He has had particular previous experience in the following sectors:
- Technology, namely fintech, software and digital infrastructure
- Creative industries, including media, entertainment and publishing, as well as advertising and marketing
- Life sciences and healthcare, including biotech and medical devices, contractual relationships with regulatory bodies, partnership/practice disputes, service sharing agreements, dental practices and pharmaceuticals
- Sports law, including contracts, agents agreements, and sports business disputes
- Energy, utilities and environment, specifically renewable energy, and oil and gas
- Public sector, including local government
- Retails, luxury brands and fashion
- Manufacturing, including industrial products, metals, chemicals and automotive/transport
- Hospitality, travel and leisure
Simon has also taken part in our Spotlight on a Solicitor series, sharing his journey into law and proudest career moments. Read the interview to hear about his life in law.
Outside of work, Simon enjoys spending time with his two sons, coaching the local under 11s rugby team, watching Bath play rugby, keeping fit and travelling.