What our energy, utilities and environment solicitors do
From interpreting the latest changes to feed-in tariffs, to understanding the application of emerging technologies in renewable energy and power such as solar, wind and hydroelectric, our dynamic team of expert energy, utilities and environment solicitors can ensure you keep up-to-date and legally compliant, as well as proposing innovative solutions in this challenging field.
Our specialist energy, utilities and environmental solicitors ensure that they stay up-to-date with emerging technologies on a global level. We understand that our clients need to be flexible and responsive to new and emerging technology, in particular in relation to energy storage, and we have particular expertise in the relevance and applicability of energy law in community energy projects.
As a law firm specialising in the energy sector and energy law, we’ve advised clients who finance or construct renewable energy projects such as solar farms, wind turbine and hydro-electric plants, liaising with investors, landowners and manufacturers and advising on transactional and regulatory matters. Harper James’ energy, utilities and environmental lawyers have a broad range of expertise in these challenging sectors, and have advised energy companies on transactions and projects focussing on various aspects of energy law.
- Our energy-from-waste solicitors can advise you on the multitude of issues arising during the construction, maintenance and management of waste-to-energy solutions, including anaerobic digestion projects, energy from waste plants, and waste solution projects including transportation and handling, connection to grid and greening technology projects.
- Our specialist oil and gas lawyers cover a range of advice including upstream, midstream and downstream transactions, exploration and exploitation of new territories, licensing, concessions and shared service arrangements, acquisitions and disposals, exploration and development activities, production, processing and refining, pipelines, transport and storage.
- Harper James’ team of nuclear lawyers can advise on new build, commissioning and de-commissioning nuclear installations, processing and transportation of waste over the short-, medium- and long-term, operational issues at plants, and have advised on a range of regulatory issues on a global level, including in the developing world.
Legal advice for energy, utilities and environment businesses
Whatever the nature of your business in the energy, utilities and environment sectors, we understand that environmental technology changes quickly. As well as providing specialist legal advice in the energy, utilities and environment field, our lawyers have experience in the most pressing issues such as:
- protection of your IP, IP disputes, developing an IP strategy for your energy, utilities or environment business, and protecting and challenging patents.
- financial aspects of energy, utility and environment projects, as our banking and finance team along with our construction finance experts co-operate in a collegial manner to ensure the seamless delivery of your project from day one. If you are an investor, or seeking capital for your energy project, our venture capital team has extensive knowledge and experience in dealing with third-party investors.
- Our venture capital, corporate and M&A teams can help structure energy transactions such as joint ventures and start-ups, and our commercial disputes and corporate teams work together to resolve disputes arising in energy contract transactions and environmental projects to protect your contractual rights.
- Whether your project involves a green- or brown-field site, our team of commercial property solicitors are on hand to help you liaise with landowners, government, investors and partners to ensure that underlying property issues are correctly identified, documented and managed.
Energy, utilities and environment solicitors with sector expertise
Our energy sector solicitors are very experienced, many having worked as partners in top 100 law firms. Some of their previous work with energy, utilities and environment companies includes:
- Advising a client who provides full end-to-end systems and services for UK energy suppliers and businesses entering the energy market.
- Acting for a UK manufacturer of structures for nuclear application. Defending and passing on claims of defective workmanship in relation to welding and non-destructive testing.
- Acting for a range of commercial property landlords and tenants regarding solar panels on roofs.
- Dispute resolution of contractual disputes relating to the provision of utilities, as well as waste management and recycling contracts.
- Acting for a major plc in the compulsory purchase and contractual purchase of agricultural land in connection with the laying of four major gas pipelines across approximately 300 miles of the country.
Find out more about our solicitors with specific energy, utilities and environment experience within their respective practice areas here:
IP & Commercial Technology Partner
Before joining us Rob worked for Santander bank as an IP/brand management lawyer and also at Shakespeare Martineau.View profile
Intellectual Property Partner
Having previously worked at top 50 firm, Walker Morris, Lindsay specialises in IP strategy, dispute resolution and IP exploitation.View profile
Dispute Resolution Partner
A former partner in a leading north-west law firm, Michael is one of our business disputes partners specialising in alternative dispute resolution & litigation for complex claims.View profile
Commercial Property Solicitor
Rachel has advised UK ports, institutional and other investors, occupiers, developers, banks, NHS trusts and local authorities on propertyView profile
Partner & Dispute Resolution Solicitor
Ashley is a litigator, arbitrator and mediator with 30 years experience handling UK and international business disputes.View profile
Commercial Property Solicitor
Christen is a commercial property solicitor with over 15 years’ experience across the full spectrum of commercial property transaction types.View profile
Emilia Smith is a commercial solicitor at Harper James, specialising in acquisitions, investments and governance.View profile
Dispute Resolution Solicitor
Simon is a very experienced dispute resolution solicitor and has worked in private litigation practice for over 20 years.View profile
Our three transparent pricing packages are designed to give you the widest possible access to high-quality legal advice, whatever the size and nature of your business:
Straightforward access to senior solicitors from £200 per hour.
An affordable solution for businesses needing one-off legal support. Receive 'City' partner-level expertise at a fraction of 'City' prices.
Have legal peace of mind for £189 per month with additional support from £99 per hour.
A monthly subscription legal support package specifically designed for start-ups and smaller businesses.
For businesses requiring 60+ hours of support a year, with prices equivalent to £99 per hour.
Fully account managed quarterly subscription service for businesses with more complex legal needs.