What our life sciences lawyers do
The highly regulated field of life sciences, comprising the development of new medical and diagnostic devices, medtech, pharmaceuticals and biotechnology, is as complex as it is fast-paced.
Such a rapidly-changing area requires its advisors to have a depth of current as well as historic knowledge and an understanding of the latest technology. Our life sciences lawyers come from a variety of backgrounds, with considerable experience advising on the wide range of matters that are particular to this discipline.
We understand that it’s essential to place commercial realities at the heart of their advice in the life sciences field, at the same time as having an in-depth appreciation of the science and technology that underpins the sector. Some of our life sciences solicitors have worked in-house in life sciences companies, and have extensive experience in advising clients from start-ups to publicly quoted companies, academic and research institutes like universities and other R&D organisations.
Harper James life sciences solicitors have experience in the following areas:
- Biotech and biotechnology related issues such as compliance and regulatory matters
- Medical devices, diagnostics and medtech, including IP, product compliance and product liability matters and R&D, and the regulation of medtech and devices
- Legal issues arising in pharmacy/pharmaceuticals/pharma businesses including commercial disputes
- Contractual relationships with regulatory bodies
- Partnership/practice agreements for organisations in the medical and pharmaceuticals fields
- Partnership/practice disputes
- Fundraising and venture capital issues
- Service-sharing agreements in the public and private sectors and collaboration agreements
- NHS and private healthcare issues relating to life science law
- Advising universities on their R&D, including spinning out commercial ventures
- Advising dental practices on commercial and developmental matters
- Public procurement
- Manufacturing issues in the life sciences field and the implementation of new technology
Harper James has experience of working with clients who are developing a wide spectrum of technologies involving medical and biotechnology devices, throughout the developmental and manufacturing processes, including testing, clinical development and exploitation.
Legal advice for life sciences businesses and businesses dealing with the life sciences sector
Whether you are an inventor of a new device or product and are looking for a life sciences lawyer to advise on IP protection or the establishment of a manufacturing network, are already in production and have supply chain or contractual/licensing issues or are seeking new finance, or more generally want a life science solicitor to help you understand the maze of regulatory issues arising in the field of pharmaceuticals or biotechnology, get in touch.
You may be a scientist entrepreneur with a new idea, having issues with manufacturing your device or supply chain issues, be concerned about protecting your intellectual property or have an IP dispute, want advice on contracts and commercial issues, or involved in a transaction like a merger or acquisition.
Equally, you may work within the NHS or other public sector body and seeking to collaborate or share services with another in a similar field, or be a university looking to set up a commercial body to exploit ideas. We have individual life science lawyers and multi-disciplinary teams to assist you.
As well as providing specialist legal advice in the life sciences sector, our life sciences solicitors have experience and technical knowledge to assist in matters such as:
- Contracts and commercial agreements relating to R&D, collaboration and shared services agreements, licensing and supply agreements, technology transfer, manufacture and clinical trial agreements
- Corporate matters such as setting up life sciences companies, funding and venture capital advice to start ups and existing companies, funding rounds, mergers & acquisitions
- Protection of ideas and intellectual property, IP developing a IP strategy for your technology and life sciences business. We also have experience advising on privacy, data protection, and GDPR
- Resolution of contract and other disputes, including arbitration and mediation
- Finance matters including private and public debt and equity funding
- Regulation and compliance in the life sciences field, including advising on alleged breaches and resolving disputes with regulators, as well as product liability advice
Life science lawyers with sector expertise
As a law firm specialising in life sciences, we understand the ethical, commercial and scientific context within which legal issues arise in the sector, as well as the wider budgetary constraints it faces. Each life sciences lawyer within our practice is highly skilled and knowledgeable about these issues, and brings a practical and commercial approach, enabling you to bring new products to market and fully exploit your innovative ideas, safe in the knowledge that your valuable life sciences legal assets are protected.
Our solicitors come with a rich and varied background of life sciences sector experience. Examples of their previous work includes:
- Acting for large universities in successfully defending a number of claims for discrimination, unfair dismissal, whistleblowing and breach of contract claims.
- Advising on a new activity tracker specific to the healthcare market, from patent registrations, industry-specific regulations, consumer trials and putting the legal documentation in place for the operation of the company.
- Resolving partnership disputes between healthcare professionals, often arising from clinical issues.
Adam Kudryl is a Partner and Corporate & Commercial Solicitor at Harper James Solicitors, specialising in strategic investments, acquisitions and sales.View profile
Jas is a corporate partner at Harper James Solicitors, advising on corporate governance, mergers & acquisitions, venture capital & investments.View profile
Dispute Resolution Partner
Ian joined our dispute resolution team in 2016 and has over 20 years of experience in handling a broad range of commercial disputes.View profile
Rana is a commercial solicitor specialising in commercial contracts, data protection and financial services.View profile
IP & Commercial Technology Partner
Before joining us Rob worked for Santander bank as an IP/brand management lawyer and also at Shakespeare Martineau.View profile
Stephen is an experienced corporate lawyer, with a career including time at DLA Piper and Pinsent Masons. He specialises in mergers and acquisitions and private equity work.View profile
Employment Law Partner
Simon acts for employers of all sizes, particularly tech and manufacturing, and specialises in managing people matters, including TUPE, sales and acquisitions of companies, and restructures/redundancies.View profile
Intellectual Property Partner
Having previously worked at top 50 firm, Walker Morris, Lindsay specialises in IP strategy, dispute resolution and IP exploitation.View profile
As a previous partner at DLA Piper, Sarah comes with a rich pedigree in providing expert commercial services for her clients.View profile
Commercial and Operations Director
Ashley is a litigator, arbitrator and mediator who joined Harper James from DLA Piper where he spent 28 years, 22 as a partner. He is now the Commercial and Operations Director at Harper James.View profile
Dispute Resolution Solicitor
Simon is a very experienced dispute resolution solicitor and has worked in private litigation practice for over 20 years.View profile
Employment Law Solicitor
Sean previously worked for a leading national law firm in the employment team, ranked tier 1 in the Legal 500. He advises employers on all aspects of employment law from TUPE to tribunals.View profile
Employee Incentives Solicitor
Ian has over 25 years’ experience advising on employee incentive arrangements (including EMI, CSOP, SIP and SAYE plans and growth/hurdle share and phantom equity arrangements).View profile
Callum is a corporate associate at Harper James, specialising in mergers and acquisitions and investments, as well as other corporate/commercial matters.View profile
IT & Commercial Solicitor
With over 15 years of in-house experience in the IT sector, Rob specialises in drafting and negotiating all manner of commercial agreements.View profile
Our three transparent pricing packages are designed to give you the widest possible access to high-quality legal advice, whatever the size and nature of your business:
Straightforward access to senior solicitors at a competitive rate.
An affordable solution for businesses needing one-off legal support. Receive ‘City’ partner-level expertise at a fraction of ‘City’ prices.
Have legal peace of mind for £189 per month with additional support from £99 per hour.
A monthly subscription legal support package specifically designed for start-ups and smaller businesses.
For businesses requiring 60+ hours of support a year, with prices equivalent to £99 per hour.
Fully account managed quarterly subscription service for businesses with more complex legal needs.