What our retail solicitors do
Our retail solicitors are legal advisers to a variety of retailers and luxury brands. Our expert lawyers have vast experience in acquiring retailing businesses, protecting retail trade marks, branding and marketing, retailing online, recruiting and dismissing staff at all levels of seniority, and managing commercial property matters.
We provide cost-effective expert legal advice across a range of areas relevant to the retail industry:
- Commercial retail property, whether this be advising commercial landlords on their property portfolios or tenants on leases in the retail sector, so that they can secure the best premises for their retail business. We have retail property solicitors ready to assist your business with pre-let agreements, lease renewals and assignments, whether contentious or non-contentious.
- Commercial – whether you require advice on commercial contracts relating to procurement, supply or manufacturing, franchising or agency and distribution agreements, we can help.
- Corporate – we work with our retail clients on mergers and acquisitions and disposals of retail businesses, as well as shareholder arrangements, joint ventures and innovative methods of raising business finance, such as venture capital and private equity.
- Data protection and privacy – in the increasingly large and complex e-marketplace we advise on data protection issues such as drafting policies or procedures, advising on data analytics, new media or data subject access requests.
- Employment law – we can advise your HR department and senior management on employment law issues, providing you with tailored employment contracts and policies and procedures for the retail industry, ad hoc advice on workforce issues and assistance with managing procedures relating to redundancy, performance management, sickness absence or disciplinary matters.
- IP – we can assist you with IP strategy looking at influencer marketing, various IP rights and how to register trademarks, company names and domain names, as well as how to protect your brand. Equally we can assist with IP disputes relating to infringements of your business’ IP.
- IT & commercial technology – we can advise on technology and e-commerce providing tailored terms and conditions and innovative solutions and strategies relating to the use of new technologies by retailers.
Legal advice for retail businesses
We understand the commercial issues involved in retail depends on the product and market involved, which is why we endeavour to understand both you, your products and your consumers.
We provide advice to entrepreneurs, companies and other retailers of fashion and clothing, food and drink, electronics, technology and consumer goods. Whether you are a crowdfunded start-up or a large multi-national with many stores, our dedicated team of specialists are adept at translating your needs into enforceable contracts.
Our solicitors can advise on a broad range of issues varying from simple agreements to complex high-value deals. In particular, we can advise on:
- acquiring leases or other assets (for high street shops)
- managing real estate portfolios (for landlords of retailers)
- online retailing
- marketing and brand protection (including on the internet)
- data protection, e-commerce and other regulations relating to retailers including product safety and competition matters
- commercial contracts including licensing and franchising agreements
- employment matters for retailers
- restructuring and refinancing retail businesses
- buying and selling retail businesses
Lawyers with retail sector experience
At Harper James Solicitors, we advise a number of innovative and growing retailers, including fashion brands, luxury brands, jewellers, beauty brands and perfumers, and many other designers and sellers of consumer goods.
Our solicitors have all been recruited from top 100 law firms or international businesses, and come with a wealth of experience and expertise in all areas of the retail sector. Our retail team spans several legal practice areas, so whatever legal advice you need, we have a business solicitor with retail experience to deal with your issue quickly and cost-effectively.
Many of our solicitors have deep and varied experience in the retail sector. Just some of their previous retail legal work includes:
- Acting on product liability claims for a range of retailers, from central heating boilers to children’s toys.
- Advising on product recalls, in relation to pan-European motor vehicle recalls.
- Advising on contractual issues relating to the purchase and chartering of luxury motor yachts.
- Acting for a fashion retailer selling via QVC home shopping channel.
- Acting for a high-end shoe designer to enforce intellectual property rights against an infringer.
- Acting for various retailers and landlords of retail property.
Dispute Resolution Partner
Ian joined our dispute resolution team in 2016 and has over 25 years of experience in handling a broad range of commercial disputes.View profile
Intellectual Property Partner
Having previously worked at top 50 firm, Walker Morris, Lindsay specialises in IP strategy, dispute resolution and IP exploitation.View profile
IP & Commercial Technology Partner
Before joining us Rob worked for Santander bank as an IP/brand management lawyer and also at Shakespeare Martineau.View profile
As a previous partner at DLA Piper, Sarah comes with a rich pedigree in providing expert commercial services for her clients.View profile
Adam Kudryl is a Partner and Corporate & Commercial Solicitor at Harper James Solicitors, specialising in strategic investments, acquisitions and sales.View profile
Commercial and Operations Director
Ashley is a litigator, arbitrator and mediator who joined Harper James from DLA Piper where he spent 28 years, 22 as a partner. He is now the Commercial and Operations Director at Harper James.View profile
Commercial Property Solicitor
Christen is a commercial property solicitor with over 15 years’ experience across the full spectrum of commercial property transaction types.View profile
Employment Law Solicitor
Sean previously worked for a leading national law firm in the employment team, ranked tier 1 in the Legal 500. He advises employers on all aspects of employment law from TUPE to tribunals.View profile
Commercial Property Solicitor
Before joining us, Theresa worked for Shoosmiths LLP and property specialists, Davitt Jones Bould, as a consultant and later as partner. Theresa has particular expertise in landlord and tenant matters, management of property portfolios and investment acquisitions and disposals.View profile
Employee Incentives Solicitor
Ian has over 25 years’ experience advising on employee incentive arrangements (including EMI, CSOP, SIP and SAYE plans and growth/hurdle share and phantom equity arrangements).View profile
Employment Law Solicitor
Ella provides practical and commercially focused advice and assistance in relation to a wide range of contentious and non-contentious employment law matters. She joins us having previously worked at top 50 law firm Shakespeare Martineau.View profile
Data protection and privacy solicitor
With a wealth of expertise in privacy, data protection, GDPR and cyber-security law, Clive’s distinguished legal career spans three decades in private practice and the public sector.View profile
IT & Commercial Solicitor
With over 15 years of in-house experience in the IT sector, Rob specialises in drafting and negotiating all manner of commercial agreements.View profile
Commercial and Corporate Solicitor
Kate is a commercial and corporate lawyer, advising businesses from start-ups up to global companies on everything from investment and franchising to sale and purchase transactions, exits and much more.View profile
Karen Mason has over 30 years’ experience practising business law. She has been a senior lawyer and partner in private practice as well as in-house counsel to some of the UK’s most highly regarded broadcast, media and internet companies.View profile
Our three transparent pricing packages are designed to give you the widest possible access to high-quality legal advice, whatever the size and nature of your business:
Straightforward access to senior solicitors at a competitive rate.
An affordable solution for businesses needing one-off legal support. Receive ‘City’ partner-level expertise at a fraction of ‘City’ prices.
Have legal peace of mind for £189 per month with additional support from £125 per hour.
A monthly subscription legal support package specifically designed for start-ups and smaller businesses.
Providing you with priority access to a dedicated panel of highly experienced solicitors.
Fully account managed quarterly subscription service for businesses with more complex legal needs.
What our clients say
We pride ourselves on delivering an excellent service for clients, but don’t just take our word for it.
…very efficient and helpful, especially given that it was difficult logistically with most of the directors away!
Adam Fraser-Harris, Finance Director
Our solicitor has been very helpful. Quick and efficient.
Vincent Sitwell, Director
Harper James have become a vital part of our business. We get quality advice from experienced solicitors at prices that other firms do not appear to be able to match.
Veejay Lingiah, CEO
Commitment, value for money, a handle on expenses
Yolanda Elena May, Co-Founder
It's very cost efficient and fast. I have enjoyed talking to everyone in the company as they are not only knowledgeable but can also relate to the situations that I need assistance with. Very happy!
Kerem Sozugecer, Founder & CEO
It was difficult to find suitable support for my IP problem and such a relief to find Harper James Solicitors. Lindsay was fantastic at guiding me through the process and I couldn’t have been happier with the result.
Mariani Robinson, Founder