What we do: Legal advice for franchisees
Our specialist franchising solicitors can help with your main challenge as a franchisee: negotiating the terms of the franchise agreement and making sure it protects your interests.
Key areas for negotiations will include:
- The financial obligations compared to what’s being offered by the franchisor
- Targets to be met
- Methods of dispute resolution
Find out more about franchising agreements from a franchisee’s perspective in our Buying a Franchise FAQs.
If you’re looking at buying a franchise to run yourself, it’s essential that you first understand the terms set out in the franchise agreement.
This agreement will include details such as:
- Duration and possible renewal of the agreement between you and the franchisor
- General obligations under the agreement
- Targets in relation to opening outlets
- The fees and royalties that you must pay the franchisor
- Use of intellectual property
- Involvement of the franchisor in approving location of outlets, providing design and layout for premises or leasing premises
- Consequences of breach and termination
- Forum and method of dispute resolution
- Restrictions during the term of the agreement and once the franchise agreement expires or is terminated
As a franchisee, you’ll be responsible for the cost of running the business, including:
- The premises
- Getting any required licences
- Employing staff
- Paying various taxes
- Local advertising costs
In addition, you’ll have to pay some fees and ongoing royalties to the franchisor. Fee structures will vary according to the sector and the franchise model chosen.
We can provide legal advice on all of these aspects.
Who we help: Franchisees
We can help franchisees at all stages of their business journey, including:
- Reviewing and advising on franchise and other related agreements
- Negotiating leases on premises
- Day-to-day business issues
- Employment issues and contracts
- Managing and resolving disputes with the franchisor
If you require advice or assistance in relation to entering into a franchise agreement as a franchisee, our solicitors can provide expert advice and assistance from the very early stages of the process.
Why choose our franchisee solicitors?
Our franchisee solicitors have all worked at senior or partner level at top 100 law firms or in-house at large international organisations. They have extensive experience in acting for both franchisees and franchisors. This means they’re uniquely placed to help you protect your interests as a franchisee. We offer the full range of legal services you’ll need when becoming a franchisee, from dispute resolution to employment law and commercial property.
Find out more about our franchisee solicitors:
Abby Watson is a corporate solicitor, specialising in private equity investments, mergers & acquisitions, EMI share schemes, corporate finance and governance and more.View profile
Adam Kudryl is a Partner and Corporate & Commercial Solicitor at Harper James Solicitors, specialising in strategic investments, acquisitions and sales.View profile
IP & Commercial Technology Partner
Before joining us Rob worked for Santander bank as an IP/brand management lawyer and also at Shakespeare Martineau.View profile
Commercial and Corporate Solicitor
Kate is a commercial and corporate lawyer, advising businesses from start-ups up to global companies on everything from investment and franchising to sale and purchase transactions, exits and much more.View profile
As a previous partner at DLA Piper, Sarah comes with a rich pedigree in providing expert commercial services for her clients.View profile
Our three transparent pricing packages are designed to give you the widest possible access to high-quality legal advice, whatever the size and nature of your business:
Straightforward access to senior solicitors at a competitive rate.
An affordable solution for businesses needing one-off legal support. Receive ‘City’ partner-level expertise at a fraction of ‘City’ prices.
Have legal peace of mind for £189 per month with additional support from £125 per hour.
A monthly subscription legal support package specifically designed for start-ups and smaller businesses.
Providing you with priority access to a dedicated panel of highly experienced solicitors.
Fully account managed quarterly subscription service for businesses with more complex legal needs.