Audit your IP to understand what you own, how to protect it and how to maximise value
Our team of intellectual property solicitors can support you by:
- Undertaking a systematic review of your IP portfolio. We will consider what IP we would expect your business to generate and engage with key stakeholders to clearly map your entire IP portfolio.
- Assessing the IP you use, including your business name, branding, copyright, trade marks, designs, patents, know-how, trade secrets, domain names, websites and databases.
- Considering whether your IP is sufficiently protected and making recommendations as to how you can better protect it.
- Supporting you with applications and renewals of registrations at the UK Intellectual Property Office or offices further afield in respect of a range of rights such as patents and trade marks.
- Reviewing your key commercial contracts such as terms and conditions and licences and considering your arrangements with third parties.
- Highlighting any risks, for example in relation to unregistered rights, potential disputes, or correcting defects in title (ownership).
- Identifying key commercial opportunities, such as obtaining or selling IP, or licensing IP in or out.
- Supporting you with any subsequent negotiations and drafting documents to purchase IP assets, transfer rights or resolve disputes.
- Considering any intra-group sharing of IP and drafting intra-group licences to help you avoid unregulated sharing of IP.
- Developing your future IP strategy and creating policies and protocols for use going forward.
- Assisting you with preparing your business for sale or investment where applicable.
What our clients say
We pride ourselves on delivering an excellent service for clients, but don’t just take our word for it.
Harper James have become a vital part of our business. We get quality advice from experienced solicitors at prices that other firms do not appear to be able to match.
Commitment, value for money, a handle on expenses
I was looking for intelligent, fast feedback on things I couldn’t do myself. Every step of the way, Harper James have fulfilled that promise – they’ve been so responsive. It’s run as a business, not as a law firm. Anyone who’s been near a law firm knows the difference. It’s a real pleasure.
Over the years Harper James have helped us navigate complex legal issues and red tape, providing distilled options and legal consultancy that far exceeds the service levels we’ve previously experienced from more traditional law firms. The team act like our own in-house counsel so, regardless of which lawyer we work with, we feel supported and that they truly have our best interests at heart.
9/10 Great communication and speed
Our scale of growth would not have happened without the support of Harper James.
Always great to have HJ on hand
What are the benefits of conducting an IP audit?
To protect, develop and exploit your IP, you need to know what you have. Intellectual property can be complex and it’s easy to lose track of what’s been developed over time without completing a thorough IP audit.
Protect what you have
An IP audit will identify whether you’re benefiting from all the protection available to you and will identify whether any registrations require renewal or whether there are any issues that need resolving.
We’ll look for ways you could generate additional revenue through exploiting your own IP or by utilising third party IP.
We’ll identify possible areas of risk, such as potential issues with third party IP, and create a strategy to overcome them.
Know your worth
With a complete IP audit, we’ll help you understand your intellectual property’s monetary worth, adding value to your business.
Who we help: Innovative businesses from a variety of industries
Every single business generates IP and will benefit from an IP audit, regardless of where your business is at in its lifecycle. We support a wide range of UK-based business in innovative industries where the effective protection and utilisation of intellectual property is crucial.
We regularly work with clients in the creative industries, IT and technology, manufacturing and engineering as well as emerging technologies such as AI. We advise clients of all shapes and sizes, from university spinouts and start-ups to SMEs and large multi-nationals.
Whether you’re a start-up looking to scale, or an established business seeking more growth, we offer accessible business legal services with an integrated approach across the team so that you know we have a wider view of your overall commercial aims and can help you achieve them, whatever your legal requirements.
Examples of our work
Supporting world-leading Cranfield Aerospace Solutions to do its best work
2 September 2020
As the aerospace commercial arm of Cranfield University, Cranfield Aerospace Solutions Limited (popularly known as CAeS) benefits from an impressive pedigree that stretches back almost …
Our work with Warwick Music Group is instrumental in protecting and promoting its brilliant ideas
18 September 2019
When you come up with a ground-breaking idea – and find the confidence, passion, skills and team to make it a reality – you want to share it, but you also need to …
Why choose Harper James Solicitors?
Our intellectual property solicitors have a wealth of experience and extensive knowledge across the whole spectrum of IP issues, from registrations to exploitation and dispute resolution, meaning we’re perfectly placed to conduct IP audits and support you in developing your IP strategy.
Our unique remote-working business model means that you can access high quality legal advice from partner-level solicitors at a fraction of the cost of traditional law firms. All our lawyers are recruited from top 100 UK law firms or from large international businesses and have advised clients both as external advisors and as in-house IP/brand management counsel.
Find out more about the team here:
Intellectual Property Solicitor
Amanda joined the firm in 2016 and has over ten years of experience in providing commercial and intellectual property services for clients.View profile
Intellectual Property Partner
Having previously worked at top 50 firm, Walker Morris, Lindsay specialises in IP strategy, dispute resolution and IP exploitation.View profile
IP & Commercial Technology Partner
Before joining us Rob worked for Santander bank as an IP/brand management lawyer and also at Shakespeare Martineau.View profile
Our three transparent pricing packages are designed to give you the widest possible access to high-quality legal advice, whatever the size and nature of your business:
Straightforward access to senior solicitors at a competitive rate.
An affordable solution for businesses needing one-off legal support. Receive ‘City’ partner-level expertise at a fraction of ‘City’ prices.
Have legal peace of mind for £189 per month with additional support from £99 per hour.
A monthly subscription legal support package specifically designed for start-ups and smaller businesses.
For businesses requiring 60+ hours of support a year, with prices equivalent to £99 per hour.
Fully account managed quarterly subscription service for businesses with more complex legal needs.