How we can help: Pre-litigation strategy and effective negotiations
Our intellectual property solicitors can support you with advice on all aspects of patent litigation such as:
- Pre-action procedures and settlement negotiations.
- Assessing risk of revocation of the patent before proceeding with litigation.
- Patent litigation strategy to support businesses in filing claims, considering the available evidence, demonstrating the validity of the patent, and the likely costs involved in pursuing settlement.
- Requests for a non-binding opinion from the Intellectual Property Office (IPO) on the issue of infringement or the validity of a patent to help you decide whether to commence proceedings.
- Enforcement of patents against third parties.
- Defending organisations against patent infringement claims.
- Securing any relief or remedies that may be available.
- Advice on the points in your IP lifecycle which may trigger disputes, so we can remain prepared for oppositions, and poised for litigation and appeals.
- Efficient litigation in both the IPEC and the Patents Court – with established working relationships with the UK IPO and the European Patent Office we will also ensure your matter is managed effectively.
- Seeking interim injunctions in addition to damages so that the ongoing patent infringement will cease until a decision is made at trial.
- Careful management of complex patent disputes and litigation spanning across multiple jurisdictions.
- Appeals and challenging the IPO, for example, where the patent specification has been wrongly interpreted, providing arguments, or amending the patent to address issues and avoid revocation.
- Up-to-date knowledge of the Unified Patents Court and any changes you need to be aware of due to Brexit.
Benefits of expert support with the patent litigation process
An integrated approach
We’ll take the time to get to know your overall IP strategy. That way, we can fully gauge your long-term commercial objectives and negotiate the best possible outcome for your business.
Get back to the day-to-day
We understand that your IP may just be one element of your business. During the patent litigation process, we can take the weight of the admin and management so that it’s business as usual for you and your management team.
Advice throughout the IP lifecycle
Our partnership doesn’t have to stop with the end of the patent litigation process. We can continue to support you to make the most of your intellectual property, finding opportunities for commercialisation and expansion alongside the patent prosecution and management process.
A well-rounded commercial awareness
Our support can extend to any element of your business, from commercial contracts, to corporate structures, employment contracts and beyond. As a full-service commercial law firm, we can provide support at every stage in your business’ growth.
Who we help: Innovative UK-based businesses
A wide range of clients – including market-disruptive companies, start-ups, high-growth companies, and large multi-nationals – all come to us for support with patent litigation strategy and advice.
They come to us because we draw on our broad experience as external IP advisors and in-house counsel in a range of sectors, including technology, life sciences and healthcare, engineering, energy and environmental, as well as manufacturing. We have particular experience with patents in the technology and creative industries and university R&D spinouts. We’ll quickly get to grips with the intricacies of your technologies and the nuances of your industry to provide you with a holistic view of your IP strategy.
Why choose Harper James Solicitors?
Our intellectual property disputes team has a depth of technical expertise to provide you with the best possible outcome for your business and is well placed to co-ordinate disputes spanning across other jurisdictions. We have developed a trusted network of experts that can support your business in all aspects of patent litigation, including barristers and patent attorneys both in the UK and further afield.
Our patent litigators have a proven track record of settling disputes quickly and in a cost-effective manner, both in and out of court and are experienced in taking cases to the High Court and Court of Appeal. Find out more about our team here:
Intellectual Property Partner
Having previously worked at top 50 firm, Walker Morris, Lindsay specialises in IP strategy, dispute resolution and IP exploitation.View profile
Intellectual Property Solicitor
Amanda joined the firm in 2016 and has over ten years of experience in providing commercial and intellectual property services for clients.View profile
Our three transparent pricing packages are designed to give you the widest possible access to high-quality legal advice, whatever the size and nature of your business:
Straightforward access to senior solicitors at a competitive rate.
An affordable solution for businesses needing one-off legal support. Receive ‘City’ partner-level expertise at a fraction of ‘City’ prices.
Have legal peace of mind for £189 per month with additional support from £99 per hour.
A monthly subscription legal support package specifically designed for start-ups and smaller businesses.
For businesses requiring 60+ hours of support a year, with prices equivalent to £99 per hour.
Fully account managed quarterly subscription service for businesses with more complex legal needs.