John Pauley is a Financial Services Solicitor with specialist knowledge in financial services regulation, payment services, electronic money, consumer credit, data protection, anti-money laundering legislation, gambling regulations, cryptocurrencies and initial coin offerings.
Prior to joining Harper James in 2019, John worked in private practice for DLA Piper and then a boutique law firm specialising in regulated e-commerce (primarily financial services and gambling). Before embarking on a legal career, John worked in financial services for over a decade, performing a range of roles including project and risk management during which he instructed and worked with external and internal legal counsel. This client perspective has helped John develop a pragmatic and client-focused approach when providing advice.
John is experienced in:
- Advising and assisting firms applying to financial service and gambling regulators for authorisation to carry out regulated activities including payment services, electronic money issuance, consumer credit activities and gambling operations
- Drafting, negotiating and updating commercial agreements including white label agreements between service providers and the direct provision of payment services to consumers and businesses
- Drafting and reviewing policies and procedures
- Advising firms carrying out initial coin offerings on a range of regulatory issues
- Advising financial services and gambling firms on a range of regulatory issues including payment services regulations, electronic money regulations, gambling regulations, anti-money laundering regulations, data protection legislation and consumer protection requirements
John lives in Chester with his wife, two sons and a dog. He enjoys spending time with his family and friends, travelling and running. He has just finished renovating his house and is looking forward to getting some furniture to put in it!