What we do: Consumer credit solicitors
Our consumer credit lawyers are able to provide you with expert advice on all matters affecting consumer credit, making sure that your business is compliant and up-to-speed in all areas. We can assist you with your requirements, whether you are looking for discrete advice on compliance with specific regulations, drafting credit agreements or even buying or selling a regulated consumer credit business. Some of the typical areas we would help your business with include:
- Consumer Credit Act (CCA)
- FCA consumer credit regime including the Consumer Credit sourcebook and other relevant FCA Handbook rules and guidance
- Anti-Money Laundering (AML) legislation
- Data protection legislation including the GDPR and DPA
- Consumer Credit Association (CCA)
- Client Assets Sourcebook (CASS) – advice on compliance and rule breaches
- Regulated Activities Order (RAO) – perimeter and regulated activity guidance
- Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) – including guidance on how to handle customer complaints
We’re also able to assist with the following:
- Applying for authorisation or variation of permissions
- Approved person applications
- Advice on approved person fit and proper issues, such as conduct and disciplinary matters
- Supervision notification and reporting obligations
- Reviewing and advising on consumer credit adverts
- Reviewing and drafting consumer credit agreements and related documents
Consumer credit is regulated by the FCA who take a proactive approach in identifying firms that carry out consumer credit activities without authorisation. Many firms that provide goods or services to consumers and small businesses may also be carrying out consumer credit activities if they extend credit to their customers. It is vital that you know whether or not you are providing consumer credit and ensure you are appropriately authorised and comply with consumer credit regulations.
If you are looking to buy or sell a consumer credit business, our finance solicitors will also work closely with our corporate and tax teams to cover all aspects of your deal, so the legal work is seamless whatever the transaction.
Who we work with
Our consumer credit lawyers regularly advise many different businesses and organisations, such as:
- Small and large business owners
We’ll explain how consumer credit regulation may affect you and your business, of if you’re new to financial services, we can discuss how you need to become regulated and the steps to maintain that regulation.
Why choose Harper James? Our consumer credit solicitors’ experience
Our consumer credit solicitors have all been recruited from top 100 UK law firms or from large international businesses. Find out more about them here:
Adam Kudryl is a Partner and Corporate & Commercial Solicitor at Harper James Solicitors, specialising in strategic investments, acquisitions and sales.View profile
Rana is a commercial solicitor specialising in commercial contracts, data protection and financial services.View profile
Financial Services Solicitor
John Pauley is a Financial Services Solicitor at Harper James, specialising in payment services, electronic money, consumer credit and cryptocurrencies.View profile
Our three transparent pricing packages are designed to give you the widest possible access to high-quality legal advice, whatever the size and nature of your business:
Straightforward access to senior solicitors from £200 per hour.
An affordable solution for businesses needing one-off legal support. Receive 'City' partner-level expertise at a fraction of 'City' prices.
Have legal peace of mind for £189 per month with additional support from £99 per hour.
A monthly subscription legal support package specifically designed for start-ups and smaller businesses.
For businesses requiring 60+ hours of support a year, with prices equivalent to £99 per hour.
Fully account managed quarterly subscription service for businesses with more complex legal needs.