- Commercial law is a branch of company law, dealing with the contracts and disputes relating to the sale and purchase of goods and services in business.
- We specialise in agency and distribution agreements, joint venture agreements, commercial contracts and franchising.
- Commercial law is very closely related to corporate law. Your company might need legal advice across both areas.
- Our commercial solicitors all have experience at top 100 firms or in house at international practices, and several specialise in both commercial and corporate law.
We can provide expert commercial legal advice for your business and help you achieve results on time and within your budget. Find out more by clicking on the headings below:
- What we do: commercial law practice areas
- Who we help
- Why choose our commercial lawyers
- Commercial law FAQs
- What our clients say
- Get an initial consultation
What We Do: Commercial Law Practice Areas
Our commercial solicitors can advise you on a variety of commercial trading and business arrangements including:
We can also advise you on the following agreements:
- Collaboration agreements
- Confidentiality and non-disclosure agreements (NDAs)
- Lease, hire and maintenance
- Reseller agreements
- Sponsorship agreements
- Supply of goods and services
- Terms of business
You can read our commercial law advice blogposts here:
- Terminating commercial contracts
- The hidden legal dangers of joint ventures going sour
- The benefits of franchising overseas
Who We Help
We advise a wide range of companies and business owners in the UK, ranging from high growth companies, start-ups and investors, to medium-sized enterprises. across multiple sectors on how to make effective commercial decisions – focusing on the issues that matter to you.
With this in mind, we offer several different service plans to suit businesses of different sizes:
- Enterprise: subscription for smaller companies
- On Demand: subscription for larger companies
- City: for one-off support
Why Choose Our Commercial Solicitors?
As experienced commercial solicitors, we understand that your business decisions need to be supported by legally water-tight agreements that enable you to capitalise on opportunities while minimising legal risks.
We have an in-depth and comprehensive understanding of commercial law and are able to assess, prepare and negotiate all forms of your business arrangements.
Our commercial lawyers have all worked in top 100 law firms or in house at international businesses, so you can be assured of their commercial law experience. You can find out more about our commercial team here:
Commercial Law FAQs
- Is commercial law different to business law or company law?
Commercial law is part of company law, or business law, as it deals with the legal arrangements that govern a business’s commercial transactions, for example, agreements about how the company provides goods and services.
- Is commercial law different from corporate law?
Yes. They are both branches of business law. Commercial law concerns how a business interacts with third parties in the course of providing its goods or services. That means it concerns contracts and agreements with third parties, and any disputes arising out of them. Corporate law is more about the internal lifecycle of a company and its people, so it deals more in formations and dissolutions.
- What experience do our commercial lawyers have?
Our commercial lawyers have all worked in top 100 law practices, or as in-house legal counsel at large international companies. They are truly City-grade lawyers with rich legal pedigrees including CMS Cameron McKenna, DLA Piper, Edge & Ellison, SJ Berwin and Reed Smith. Their clients and inhouse positions include global companies in a vast range of sectors and industries, from engineering, finance and software, to media, sports and education.
- Why should I use a specialist commercial solicitor instead of a normal solicitor?
Business transactions and agreements are very different from ‘private client’ work in other areas of law, and require specialist knowledge and experience. It’s important to instruct not just a business solicitor, but a business solicitor who specialises in contractual law and agreements? Most likely, your business is your livelihood. So why risk your business with solicitors who don’t specialise in the legal work needed to protect it?
What Our Clients Say
“They have a deep understanding of the issues facing entrepreneurial businesses and their funding. They adopt proactive approach to overcoming issues, and their knowledge of the sector and investors and preparedness to identify novel solutions has proved extremely beneficial.” – Charles Smith, Director, Interpac Limited
“Whenever we face a problem, I know that Harper James are there to provide helpful and cost-effective advice, to scope out the options, make clear the costs and risks, and give me the information I need to make decisions.” – Bryn Richards, CEO, Aeristech
“Harper James provide a cost effective, responsive and versatile service and provide us with access to legal teams that are experienced, commercially focused and well-resourced.” – Roger Woods, Owner & Director, Midven
Get An Initial Consultation Today
For more information about our commercial legal services, call us freephone on 0800 689 1700 or fill out the short form below and we’ll get back to you within 24 hours.