Protect your interests with sound advice from commercial technology solicitors
We recognise that development in commercial technology and IT is rapid, so circumstances and projects can change quickly. Our IT solicitors possess the expertise and resources to anticipate and react to your needs and can offer you cost-effective advice on a variety of issues, including:
- SaaS agreements: We can provide you with a comprehensive legal review of the terms of the agreement, conducting thorough due diligence of the provider to ensure you’re protected and getting the very best out of the relationship.
- Cloud services agreements: We’ll carefully negotiate and draft your agreement, detailing service levels, obligations, and your right to terminate, also making sure you comply with the platform providers’ requirements while minimising risk to your business.
- Software licensing and end user licensing: We’ll carefully draft your license agreements so that you successfully prevent abuses of your software, keep control over its use, limit your liabilities and, put terms in place that will protect your business and suit your future plans.
- Procurement: Whatever software, hardware or systems you need to introduce to your business, we can review any boilerplate agreements you’ve been presented with by your supplier and make sure that the necessary adaptations are made to terms so that you get exactly what you require.
- Outsourcing: We’ll ensure that any established outsourcing agreements are carefully reviewed and adapted and that any early stage negotiations with a new provider are fit for purpose, while also considering exit provisions, such as the right to step in, should the supplier be unable to perform.
- Technological research and development and collaboration agreements: We can produce an agreement that clearly defines each party’s obligations, limitations, and ownership so that roles are clearly defined, helping you avoid costly disputes later on.
- Protecting and commercialising your intellectual property: Our intellectual property specialists will provide a clear route to protect your IP, and where appropriate, uncover the right opportunities to commercialise assets to benefit your business.
- Cybersecurity: By assessing potential risk to your business, we’ll help you put the right cyber resilience protocols in place, build incident response plans, and make sure you comply with the relevant legislation.
- Data protection: Our specialists will ensure your processes align with current data protection law and GDPR, with comprehensive audits, staff training, and data breach prevention and management.
- Video game and app development: From development agreements, to intellectual property considerations, distribution agreements, and regulatory compliance, we can support you at every stage in video game or app development, so that you protect your assets, safely distribute your product, and abide by current regulations.
- Fintech: We’ll guide you through the regulatory minefield that you’ll have to navigate as part of the Fintech sector, helping you manage risk effectively, taking a wider view of your business so that we can also support you with the accompanying data protection, intellectual property, and contractual considerations as you scale.
- Ecommerce and Distance selling regulations: Whether it’s via phone, mail or online transactions, we’ll ensure you comply with The Consumer Rights Act and have the right terms and conditions in place to protect you.
What our clients say
We pride ourselves on delivering an excellent service for clients, but don’t just take our word for it.
Harper James proved to be a great partner during our recent business transaction. The key benefit was having access to a very knowledgeable and capable resource who also understood the wider business impact.
Twipes really felt as though we were being treated personally, rather than just customers: that is the great Harper James Experience.
Very proactive and led us through the process well.
9/10 Great communication and speed
For us, the support of Harper James Solicitors has been a gift. The collaboration we have had has been of tremendous importance. The service has been superb value for money.
Our scale of growth would not have happened without the support of Harper James.
We often need legal advice quickly, especially during sales with new customers, and Rob is very responsive and always available for meetings. When I was looking for a law firm, I wanted that full range of services, as I knew we’d need advice outside of the tech remit. The flexibility has been really positive.
Knowing you have that level of legal support enables any new business to be able to move forward with more confidence. With Harper James we have that – and more.
Legal support commercialising new technologies with carefully drafted contracts
We can also help with the drafting and reviewing of all commercial contracts required for your tech business to progress:
- IT contracts and agreements
- Distribution agreements and reseller agreements
- Enterprise agreements
- Sub-contracting agreements
- Affiliate agreements
- Professional service agreements including transformations, installations, and migrations
- Managed service agreements including break/fix and service desk agreements
- Confidentiality and non-disclosure agreements
- Escrow agreements
- Heads of terms/memoranda of understanding
- Privacy policies
- Software and hardware development agreements
- Terms of business
- Website audits, hosting, development, and terms agreements
Why work with a specialist commercial tech and IT solicitor?
Protect your innovation
If you’re in the business of developing a product or service that is not yet seen elsewhere or will undoubtedly see commercial competition, it’s worth investing heavily in its protection. Our IP specialists will be able to advise you on the best course of action when it comes to protecting your assets, and beyond that, will also advise you on the best way to commercialise your technology, taking your business to that next level.
Get exactly what you need from providers
Relying on third party providers means putting an element of your business in their hands. Whether that’s IT systems, data storage, or working with developers, you need to ascertain obligations and levels of responsibility to protect your business. Our commercial technology experts will give you peace of mind, knowing that they have your best interests and objectives in mind throughout all commercial negotiations.
Through careful consideration of your current processes, risk assessment, and application of legislation, we can ensure that you comply with regulations in your sector. From refining your data storage procedures, to limiting your liability as part of commercial negotiations, and helping you protect innovative products – our aim is to reduce the risk of sanctions that could disrupt your business.
The last thing you want slowing you down is having to decipher your obligations when it comes to regulatory and legislative compliance. We have the experience to make sure you comply with the regulations that apply to your business, so that you can spend more time successfully managing it.
Who we help: Fast-growing technology companies
We work with software companies, video game developers, ISPs, fintech, biotech companies, and leading international tech businesses. Our team of commercial technology lawyers are expert legal advisers to growing technology companies and have particular experience in the fields of IT, telecommunications, energy and utilities, and e-commerce, with a large number of our clients operating in these sectors.
Why choose Harper James Solicitors?
Our commercial technology lawyers’ expertise spans several legal practice areas, so whatever legal advice you need, we have a solicitor with experience advising technology businesses, able to deal with your needs quickly and cost-effectively.
We advise on protecting and commercialising technology innovations and taking action against online and offline infringements around the world. And we specialise in supporting start-ups and scale-ups. Our aim is to partner with ambitious businesses that would normally find legal support inaccessible and provide them with the legal guidance they need to advance. Our integrated services also mean that you won’t just have the technology team to guide you. With our unique subscription pricing model, you’ll also be able to access our other legal services when you need them.
Find out more about the commercial technology team here:
IP & Commercial Technology Partner
Before joining us Rob worked for Santander bank as an IP/brand management lawyer and also at Shakespeare Martineau.View profile
Data protection and privacy solicitor
With a wealth of expertise in privacy, data protection, GDPR and cyber-security law, Clive’s distinguished legal career spans three decades in private practice and the public sector.View profile
As a previous partner at DLA Piper, Sarah comes with a rich pedigree in providing expert commercial services for her clients.View profile
IP, Commercial & Technology Associate Solicitor
Ed joins our commercial team and specialises in IT, IP and general technology related contracts, but can also advise on a range of commercial matters.View profile
Our three transparent pricing packages are designed to give you the widest possible access to high-quality legal advice, whatever the size and nature of your business:
Straightforward access to senior solicitors at a competitive rate.
An affordable solution for businesses needing one-off legal support. Receive ‘City’ partner-level expertise at a fraction of ‘City’ prices.
Have legal peace of mind for £189 per month with additional support from £99 per hour.
A monthly subscription legal support package specifically designed for start-ups and smaller businesses.
For businesses requiring 60+ hours of support a year, with prices equivalent to £99 per hour.
Fully account managed quarterly subscription service for businesses with more complex legal needs.