What we do: Corporate governance and compliance solicitors
As a corporate governance law firm, our expert solicitors have the legal skills and experience to recommend a tailored governance and compliance structure to underpin your business.
Our team of specialist corporate governance lawyers can assist with:
- Anti-bribery measures (in accordance with the Bribery Act 2010)
- Corporate governance strategy
- Compliance reviews and testing
- Board structure and composition
- Director’s duties and conflicts of interest (see below), including removal of directors
- Director’s liabilities
- Defining the duties of an independent board chair
- Drafting articles of association and other constitutional documents
- Executive pay and remuneration
- Succession planning
- Governance systems, planning, processes, and procedures
- Auditing and evaluation
- Risk assessment and mitigation – as required by the UK Corporate Governance Code
- Reputation risk management
- Governance reporting
- Company secretarial issues such as advice on meetings, resolutions and filings
- Shareholder consents and voting rights
- Share capital
In addition, we can assist with disputes regarding corporate governance, including:
- Investigations by regulatory authorities
- Breach of duties
- Conflicts within senior management
We also have a robust understanding of the latest compliance regulations, for example in relation to GDPR and cybersecurity, and we can advise and represent senior executives and board members on any corporate governance matter, regardless of complexity and scale.
Want to know more about how to comply to your obligations under GDPR? See our GDPR, data protection and privacy services.
Who we help: Executive leadership, financial institutions and investors in all types of UK businesses from start-ups and SMEs to large businesses
Our corporate solicitors work directly with boards and directors of companies, financial institutions, investors, and private equity firms to rapidly assess your needs and take action which protects your interests.
Whether you require guidance in relation to a contentious matter, auditing of your compliance or the implementation of new systems and processes, our expert lawyers can offer advice and practical support that is tailored to your needs.
Additional advice: Directors’ duties – liabilities and responsibilities
The UK Corporate Governance Code makes it clear that shareholders are responsible for the appointment of directors and auditors to ensure necessary governances structures are in place and, in turn, it is the director’s role to meet compliance obligations.
Under the Companies Act 2006, all directors must act in accordance with a set of directors’ duties, including:
- Acting in compliance with the company’s constitution
- Promoting the success of the company
- Using independent judgement
- Exercising reasonable care, skill and diligence
- Avoiding conflicts of interest
- Not accepting personal benefits
- Retaining records
Why choose our corporate governance and compliance solicitors?
We’re a modern law firm with a difference. Our innovative remote operating model means that you can access expert City-grade legal advice from partner-level solicitors at a fraction of the cost of traditional law firms. Our senior solicitors have all been recruited from top 100 UK law firms or large international businesses. Find out more about our corporate governance and compliance lawyers here:
Jas is a coprorate solicitor at Harper James Solicitors, advising on coporate governance, mergers & acquisitions, venture capital & investments.View profile
Stephen is an experienced corporate lawyer, with a career including time at DLA Piper and Pinsent Maison. He specialises in mergers and acquisitions and private equity work.View profile
Commercial and Corporate Solicitor
Kate is a commercial and corporate lawyer, advising businesses from start-ups up to global companies on everything from investment and franchising to sale and purchase transactions, exits and much more.View profile
Adam Kudryl is a Partner and Corporate & Commercial Solicitor at Harper James Solicitors, specialising in strategic investments, acquisitions and sales.View profile
Our three transparent pricing packages are designed to give you the widest possible access to high-quality legal advice, whatever the size and nature of your business:
Straightforward access to senior solicitors from £200 per hour.
An affordable solution for businesses needing one-off legal support. Receive 'City' partner-level expertise at a fraction of 'City' prices.
Have legal peace of mind for £189 per month with additional support from £99 per hour.
A monthly subscription legal support package specifically designed for start-ups and smaller businesses.
For businesses requiring 60+ hours of support a year, with prices equivalent to £99 per hour.
Fully account managed quarterly subscription service for businesses with more complex legal needs.