What we do: Enterprise Investment Scheme (EIS) and Seed Enterprise Investment Scheme (SEIS) solicitors
The EIS and SEIS schemes are a great way for companies to obtain investment in order to launch, scale and grow, as well as offering investors the opportunity for tax-free returns and tax reliefs including income tax relief, CGT deferral and EIS deferral relief. Deciding to pursue EIS or SEIS investment needs careful planning to ensure that the EIS and SEIS rules are complied with. Our expert lawyers can help your company make an application to HMRC for pre-investment assurance that your company qualifies for EIS or SEIS relief, through to ensuring that the EIS and SEIS rules are met throughout the term of the investment.
Our lawyers are business and finance law specialists, with particular expertise in EIS and SEIS schemes. Our EIS and SEIS solicitors have the legal skills and experience to help companies who want to use EIS and SEIS scheme funds to grow and benefit their businesses.
Our Enterprise Investment Scheme and Seed Enterprise Investment Schemes solicitors can help companies with:
- Drafting, amending and re-structuring the company’s articles of association as well as preparing and advising on other necessary documents such as shareholders’ agreements.
- Advising on the reliefs available to EIS investors such as EIS tax relief, exemption from Capital Gains Tax, EIS deferral relief and CGT relief when certain assets are sold and funds re-invested in EIS scheme shares.
- Ensuring that EIS funds are used for a qualifying purpose and that the company seeking EIS relief is EIS compliant (a qualifying company carrying out a qualifying trade), and that the investor is a qualifying investor. We can also hold pre-investment funds in our client account.
- Advising on the EIS investment rules including lifetime limits for EIS, SEIS and VCT, investment opportunities for older companies, and employee limits. For knowledge-intensive companies, our EIS lawyers can also advise on the R&D spending requirements, innovation and skilled-employee conditions.
- For seed funding and investment in smaller start-up businesses less than two years old, advice on the SEIS including compliant companies, investment rules and investment limits, re-investments, income and CGT reliefs, and carry-back exemptions.
- Together with our corporate lawyers, advising investors on investment opportunities under the EIS and SEIS schemes, how to obtain EIS and SEIS tax relief, drafting shareholders agreements in relation to qualifying companies, and providing assurance that proposed EIS and SEIS funding constitutes a qualifying investment.
- Ongoing compliance within the EIS and SEIS framework including HMRC monitoring.
Additional advice: Venture capital
Where your company is investigating possible sources of capital in addition to EIS or SEIS, or your company is not eligible for EIS or SEIS, our venture capital solicitors can advise you on other options available to you for investment, and help you to structure any venture capital deal that is put in place. Or if you are a high net-worth individual, private equity or VC firm, we can provide legal advice on all aspects of venture capital funding, including preparation of all necessary corporate documents to ensure your interests are protected.
Who we help: Executive leadership, financial institutions and investors considering investment under the EIS and SEIS schemes
As an expert EIS and SEIS law firm, our solicitors advise seed enterprises, start-ups, boards, company directors and investors on the Enterprise Investment and Seed Enterprise Investment Schemes. Whether you are a seed looking to launch, a start-up looking to grow your business, an early-stage company wanting to scale up, or an investor seeking a tax-efficient way to help business and enterprise, our experts offer both legal advice and hands-on support.
Why choose our Enterprise Investment Scheme (EIS) and Seed Enterprise Investment Scheme (SEIS) solicitors?
We’re a modern law firm with a difference. Our innovative remote operating model means that you can access expert City-grade legal advice from partner-level solicitors at a fraction of the cost of traditional law firms. Our senior solicitors have all been recruited from top 100 UK law firms or large international businesses. Find out more about our EIS and SEIS lawyers here:
Adam Kudryl is a Partner and Corporate & Commercial Solicitor at Harper James Solicitors, specialising in strategic investments, acquisitions and sales.View profile
Abby Watson is a corporate solicitor, specialising in private equity investments, mergers & acquisitions, EMI share schemes, corporate finance and governance and more.View profile
Shubhu specialises in early-stage fund raisings, shareholder arrangements and M&A. Prior to joining Harper James she worked at Mills & Reeve and before that at Addleshaw Goddard and Slaughter and May.View profile
Jas is a corporate solicitor at Harper James Solicitors, advising on corporate governance, mergers & acquisitions, venture capital & investments.View profile
Corporate Solicitor & CEO
Toby Harper is the CEO & Founder of Harper James Solicitors, as well as a corporate & commercial solicitor. He specialises in venture capital and the tech sector.View profile
Our three transparent pricing packages are designed to give you the widest possible access to high-quality legal advice, whatever the size and nature of your business:
Straightforward access to senior solicitors at a competitive rate.
An affordable solution for businesses needing one-off legal support. Receive ‘City’ partner-level expertise at a fraction of ‘City’ prices.
Have legal peace of mind for £189 per month with additional support from £99 per hour.
A monthly subscription legal support package specifically designed for start-ups and smaller businesses.
For businesses requiring 60+ hours of support a year, with prices equivalent to £99 per hour.
Fully account managed quarterly subscription service for businesses with more complex legal needs.
What our clients say
We pride ourselves on delivering an excellent service for clients, but don’t just take our word for it.
…efficient, knowledgeable, experienced, communicative, responsive, reliable, pragmatic, informative, thorough, friendly,honest, helpful and she bills correctly – exactly what one wants from one's solicitor!
Our solicitor has been very helpful. Quick and efficient.
Harper James swiftly solves problems with a minimum of fuss. I strongly recommend them and they are a pleasure to work with.