Minimise disruption with a well-managed employment tribunal claim
Our team of employment law solicitors can support you with:
- Exploring your options thoroughly: We’ll first assess the situation, offering advice on the likely value of the claim and potential award if applicable. We’ll also review all documentation and advise you as to the best route to take for your business, exploring pre-claim conciliation before going to Tribunal.
- Drafting ET3 Defences to Tribunal claims: We’re experienced in carefully reviewing ET1 claim forms, consulting thoroughly with you to discover all the facts of your specific case and drafting precise and comprehensive ET3 Defences (and where applicable Defence and Counter-claim forms).
- Assisting with the settlement of claims: If it is in the best interests of your business and the employee is prepared to participate in reasonable settlement discussions, we can assist with that process, to conclude a settlement agreement or COT3 agreement on your behalf.
- Organising the Tribunal process and representation: We are able to significantly reduce the pressure of a Tribunal claim against your business. We’ll ensure that you have all the documentation necessary to meet specifications set by the Tribunal. Should you require an industry expert or barrister to represent you, we can organise this on your behalf, using our team’s experience and wide-ranging, expert contacts.
We’ll help you defend against claims such as:
- Unfair dismissal following gross misconduct offences (including theft from employer – both property and data)
- Constructive unfair dismissal cases (particularly the removal of senior executives)
- Sexual harassment
- Wide range of discrimination claims, including maternity discrimination and disability discrimination
- Unfair dismissal claims following a redundancy
- Unauthorised deductions from wages
- Unfair dismissal following performance management/capability proceedings
What our clients say
We pride ourselves on delivering an excellent service for clients, but don’t just take our word for it.
Harper James is a brilliant example of a company disrupting a traditional industry. Suddenly Solicitors become relevant and accessible for start-ups & small enterprises, with the best in-class knowledge of all major legal areas. I’ve used the business now for a year, and the Enterprise plan has been perfect for budgeting my company’s outgoings, and has given me a piece of mind when tackling key, decisive issues. Thank-you HJS!
Harper James provides my small growing business with a scalable, reliable, team-oriented approach to legal advice. Whenever we face a problem, I know that Harper James are there to provide helpful and cost-effective advice, to scope out the options, make clear the costs and risks, and give me the information I need to make decisions.
Harper James have been a pleasure to work with. We dealt with another firm before approaching them who we had to leave because they were too slow and unresponsive. By the time we met Harper James we were urgently needing to progress quickly. They turned our project around at lightning speed for us and saved the day. Thank you!
We rely on Harper James to provide us with support across a full range of service areas, from commercial contracts and employment issues to fundraisings and investments. The team at Harper James are always available to provide us with cost effective, pragmatic and commercially focused advice.
Over the years Harper James have helped us navigate complex legal issues and red tape, providing distilled options and legal consultancy that far exceeds the service levels we’ve previously experienced from more traditional law firms. The team act like our own in-house counsel so, regardless of which lawyer we work with, we feel supported and that they truly have our best interests at heart.
Quite frankly I was stunned at the low cost of the service given the value it provided us.
For us, the support of Harper James Solicitors has been a gift. The collaboration we have had has been of tremendous importance. The service has been superb value for money.
Harper James never fail to impress with the speed and efficiency of their service, no matter the query. The team are friendly, knowledgeable and always on hand.
Benefits of seeking professional support with an Employment Tribunal claim
Save time and money defending a claim
Reduce time spent on trying to research how to best run a defence when our experienced employment solicitors can do all of this for you from an early stage. Meanwhile, you can continue to focus your time and energy on running your business.
Reduce the risk of a claim costing you more than it should
Involving a specialist employment solicitor from an early stage ensures that you follow the Employment Tribunal procedure as you should and do not give default judgment or other advantages to an employee making a claim against your business.
Honest and transparent advice
We will seek to find and exploit advantages your case has but will also be honest with you about the potential value of any claim against your business and its chance of success.
Pragmatic guidance for the best possible resolution
If your prospects of successfully defending or counterclaiming are not good, we might suggest settlement and can expertly guide you. As the Employment Tribunal is a public forum it is critical to balance risks to your business and impact of a loss at an Employment Tribunal on your business’ reputation.
Access to a team of experienced negotiators and trusted contacts
As experienced negotiators, we’re familiar and confident discussing directly with the employee or their representative, or through ACAS. We not only have an experienced team of employment solicitors here at Harper James – we have also built up a range of highly experienced contacts such as barristers who specialise in particular types of employment claims, which you can benefit from.
Who we help: Start-ups and scale-ups with fast-developing teams
As your business grows, accessing expert legal support is invaluable. But accessing it at a reasonable price from experienced solicitors that you can rely on is not always so simple. As champions of entrepreneurship, we aim to provide legal advice that’s cost-effective, holistic, and always from an experienced team. That’s why we created our legal subscription plans, helping you build a consistent partnership with our solicitors who will take the time to get to know, not just the matter at hand, but your business strategy and how best to support it with an ongoing relationship.
Why choose Harper James Solicitors?
Across the team our employment solicitors specialise in a range of contentious and non-contentious matters, from complex company restructures and redundancies and TUPE transfers, to producing employment contracts and HR policies and procedures for our clients. Our employment law solicitors have been recruited from top 100 firms or in-house counsel at top international businesses, and all have more than 10 years post-qualifying experience. Find out more about the employment law team here:
Employment Law Partner
Simon acts for employers of all sizes, particularly tech and manufacturing, and specialises in managing people matters, including TUPE, sales and acquisitions of companies, and restructures/redundancies.View profile
Employment Law Solicitor
Sean previously worked for a leading national law firm in the employment team, ranked tier 1 in the Legal 500. He advises employers on all aspects of employment law from TUPE to tribunals.View profile
Employment Law Solicitor
Previously a director in top 50 national firm Shakespeare Martineau, Alan specialises in restraint of trade issues, TUPE, shareholder and disputes at board level.View profile
Our three transparent pricing packages are designed to give you the widest possible access to high-quality legal advice, whatever the size and nature of your business:
Straightforward access to senior solicitors at a competitive rate.
An affordable solution for businesses needing one-off legal support. Receive ‘City’ partner-level expertise at a fraction of ‘City’ prices.
Have legal peace of mind for £189 per month with additional support from £99 per hour.
A monthly subscription legal support package specifically designed for start-ups and smaller businesses.
For businesses requiring 60+ hours of support a year, with prices equivalent to £99 per hour.
Fully account managed quarterly subscription service for businesses with more complex legal needs.